Saturday, March 24, 2007

Backstabs and Backpacks

We've got a special two-for-one deal today only!

1-
My question is on a rogue special abilitiy: crippling stirke states that an opponent damaged by ONE of her sneak attacks takes two points of strength damage. Now let's assume my rogue is flanking a cleric, and I use a full-attack, and all three of my attacks hit. Does that mean the opponent gets -6 to his strength?

According to the RAW (and as far as I can tell there is nothing else that says otherwise), that's exactly what it means. The rogue's crippling strike ability applies to each sneak attack she deals and since it's strength damage and not a strength penalty it's cumulative. I happened to be going for this very strategy with a rogue I'm currently playing who dual-wields. Six successful sneak attacks per round = 12 points of strength damage. So, if your opponent is loaded with hp, you can just whittle his strength down to 0 and paralyze him (assuming it's also vulnerable to sneak attacks). Have fun with that. :)

2-
Hey, do you know by chance how much does a standard backpack hold?
Good question. I actually spent a large amount of time a while back asking other people that. The bottom line is, there are no rules in 3.5 about it. Back in 3.0, backpacks were given a capacity of 1 cubic foot.... Good luck trying to figure that out given all the awkward shapes items take in the game. And, is that backpack really strong enough to hold 1 cubic foot of lead or some other ridiculously dense material? I think that's why it was left out of the current rules. That, and it doesn't really matter so long as it's within reason. And what's within reason is up to the DM. I figure, as long as the character's encumberance is ok, he'll find some place to put it. That way, saying certain items are in the backpack or sack really has more to do with how long it takes to retrieve the items or what goes missing when your backpack gets stolen (which I figure is more important anyway). An easy way to get around this is to make sure the characters get some bags of holding or a handy haversack. They have stated capacities.

I think I need a shower, but I really want a beer.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Track with co.mments

Post a Comment

<< Home


Subscribe to my feed

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Add to Technorati Favorites
Google Reader or Homepage
Add to My Yahoo!
Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL
Subscribe in Rojo
Get RSS Buttons

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States