Thursday, September 28, 2006

Weapon Damage Types

Here's another question from me to you. Sorry, I didn't have time to wrap it, but I'm sure you understand.

The topic today is what the deal is with certain damage types in the Player's Handbook. Most of them I get, a club does bludgeoning damage, a spiked club does bludgeoning and piercing, etc. it makes sense. Then I get to the blades...

A longsword does slashing damage. I can see that. Yeah, it's got a point at the end, but maybe they mean it's primarily used in a slashing manner. Now short swords. They do piercing damage. Again, they do have an edge, but maybe they figure you're going to be thrusting more with a short sword than slashing. But then, daggers do both slashing and piercing. Now I'm confused. I'd think that daggers would be used in a stabbity fashion in combat most of the time, at least as often as short swords would be. So, why then do they recognize a dagger's edge, but not a short sword's; and why is a longsword's point ignored? Personally, I can see a person thrusting with a longsword a lot more often than trying to slash with a dagger.

So, at my table, all of these weapons can do either slashing or piercing damage. What are your thoughts? Has this actually become an issue at your games? Let the public know!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Track with co.mments

Post a Comment

<< Home


Subscribe to my feed

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Add to Technorati Favorites
Google Reader or Homepage
Add to My Yahoo!
Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL
Subscribe in Rojo
Get RSS Buttons

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States