Friday, July 21, 2006

Half-Dragon Templates

No, I'm not going to wonder about the difference in power between a half-dragon and a true dragon. That works for me. No children, I come to you today with startling news.

I received my first question! WOOT!

Ok, so what was the question you ask? That's another question I respond.

Anyway, the first question comes to me from Amp and it concerns ways of granting the half-dragon template to a character that was not born with it , details are left out to protect the players (they'll need all the protection they can get), and they're irrelevant anyway. The details, not the players. Amp had considered using some form of a wish spell (which would have done the job), but thought that was a little overkill. So, I broke out my books and set to work.

The first thing that came to mind was the Dragon Disciple prestige class from the DMG (pg. 184). Gain 10 levels and you become a half-dragon, sweet. But, since Amp was considering a single spell for the job, I thought perhaps there wasn't enough time for all that. So, on I looked.

The next thing I came across was the spell Polymorph Any Object from the PHB (pg. 263). This spell, can be permanent if the change is not too drastic from the original form (there are tables to help with all that), and I would rule that polymorphing from a base race to a half-dragon/half-base race would qualify as permanent.

Now, I know some people have problems with the polymorph line of spells, so I decided to come up with a third option. Since Amp was already considering using powers of massive proportions, why not make an artifact? Artifacts are fun because they can do anything. They don't have to follow the normal rules, they don't have to work for everyone or in any kind of consistent manner at all if you don't want them too. Sure there are those that do, but an artifact with even a hint of intelligence can refuse to work if it doesn't want to. So, how about an Altar of Draconic Lineage, or a Statue of Draconic Perfection (or semi-perfection as the case may be) that grants the half-dragon template to those it deems worthy (or something). Here you can be as creative as you like.

So, I hope that was informative and not too confusing. You now have at least three different ways of granting the half-dragon template (by class, by spell, and by item).

So who's next?


Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Track with co.mments
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks allot for the advice! I think I'm gunna whip up an artifact that is destroyed if the person wearing it is killed. Muahaha.... ^-^

7/22/2006 09:15:00 PM  
Blogger Jono said...

No problem. :) I hope your players enjoy the surprise.

7/22/2006 09:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You make this stuff up as you go along, don'tcha?

8/09/2006 01:00:00 PM  
Blogger Jono said...

Pretty much, yeah....

8/09/2006 05:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Subscribe to my feed

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Add to Technorati Favorites
Google Reader or Homepage
Add to My Yahoo!
Subscribe with Bloglines
Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Add to My AOL
Subscribe in Rojo
Get RSS Buttons

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States